Chapter 5: Best Fats & Oils for Cooking
High heat: For frying, baking at 375 or higher, and broiling.
- 1) Coconut oil
- 2) Grapeseed oil
- 3) Coconut oil
- 4) Grapeseed oil
- 5) Butter
- 6) Ghee (clarified butter – solids removed for higher heat tolerance)
- 7) Extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
- 8) Extra virgin olive oil (EVO), plus any of the above.
- 9) Note: Olive oil is unstable at high heat and is easily damaged. Also, Quality olive oil should smell like olives!
- 10) Hemp oil
- 11) Flax oil
- 12) Sunflower or safflower oil (high-oleic is best)
Moderate heat: For stir-fry, baking at 300 to 350, and sautéing.
Low heat: For boiling, steaming, stir-frying on low with water
No heat: Add to food after cooking, making dressings, sauces, etc.