Castor Oil Pack Therapy*
- Take the organic, unbleached, cotton flannel out of the bag and cut 2 layers.
- The size of flannel cut depends on how large the area to be treated. Example, if using over the lower abdomen, an entire ‘sheet’ size could be used of around 8 ½ x 11”. If a medium sized area is needed for application like a single breast, try a ‘half sheet’ of around 5 x 8”. For smaller areas like a thyroid, use your own judgement, so long as the area in question is covered.
- Place a sheet of plastic such as cling wrap or a produce bag on the counter and place the 2 layers of flannel sheets on top, leaving at least 3” or more excess wrap on all sides.
- Apply the castor oil evenly over the flannel. Drizzle it on and spread in with your hand. Don’t worry if every inch is not covered, as most will soak in after a while anyway.
- Apply the soaked flannel to the area needed, with the plastic on the outside. Make sure to wrap well, or some castor oil may leak off the sides. Next, apply a hot pack over the pack, on top of the plastic wrap (you’ll be glad you used the plastic wrap). Electric packs are best, as warm water packs or ‘seed’ bags cool off too quickly.
- Consider using a large towel or similar under your body part so any flooring or furniture is not dripped on by the oil. Leave on for 45-60 minutes per session. Use 1-5x a week.
- Each castor pack, once the oil has been applied, may be used up to 3 times. Simply place is a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator between uses. Throw away and start over once 3 sessions are completed. For serious conditions, I suggest only 1-2 uses per pack.
Castor oil has a long history of clinical use for its anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, analgesic, lymph and immune benefits. The quality of both sheets and oil vary considerably, which is why I only suggest Premier Research® brand. Don’t use heat if there is appendicitis.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.