Osteoporosis is a bone mineral and collagen disease. Defined as a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) of -2.5 or greater, the condition is alarmingly common. This paper covers current statistics, standard treatments, and the HealthQuestForMe 8-Point System for reversing osteoporosis.
Recent studies show that over $20 billion a year is spent directly on osteoporosis, with projected costs over $25 billion by 2025. Over 55% of people over age 50 have osteoporosis, and estimates reveal that over 34 million people have osteopenia, defined as low bone density, or a BMD between -1.0 and -2.5. Fractures due to osteoporosis commonly occur in the vertebral bodies (spine), wrist, hips, and other areas.
Why Don't We Recognize It?
The problem is due to the silent, stealth-like nature of the condition. It sneaks up on you, and by time it's diagnosed. you really have your work ahead of you. Most of the time with poor results. The HealthQuestForMe 8-Point System attempts to reduce symptoms and restore underlying mechanisms. After all, you can't FEEL your bones losing density.
Osteoporosis Risk Factors
Long-term use of antacids contribute to osteoporosis. These include H2-blockers (Pepcid AC, TagametHB, Zantac 75, Axid AR, etc), proton pump inhibitors (PPI's), the most powerful class of these drugs (Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium, Aciphex, Dexilant, Zegerid, Protonix, etc), and coating agents with aluminum hydroxide (Gaviscon, Maalox, Mylanta, etc). Infact, PPI's have been shown to increase the risk of C. difficile infection. 'Harmless' calcium anatacids such as Tums or Rolaids, pose no short-term problems, but their long-term use inhibits normal ionization processes in the stomach, necessary for proper mineral absorption. See my website article on Heartburn and GERD for more information.
Signs You May Notice:
The primary diagnostic mechanism is through a DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) test. This screening tool can predict and monitor low bone density, and involves a certain low-level x-ray on various susceptible areas on the wrist, hip and lumbar spine. A T-Score of -1.0 to -2.5 means low bone density, but not quite at the osteoporosis division starts, which is -2.5 or worse. Standard x-rays are not sensitive enough to pick up small variations in bone loss or gain. In fact, by the time osteoporosis can be seen on plain film x-ray, 25-30% of bone loss has already occurred. I would see this often during the years I was performing x-ray examinations on my patients. Standard blood calcium tests are virtually useless for evaluation of osteoporosis, as it correlates with parathyroid hormone balance.
If these are unsuccessful or already tried, then either hormone therapy or bisphosphonate drugs are used.
These can be VERY DANGEROUS! The Woman's Health Initiative Study showed hormone therapy causes far-reaching side effects including breast and uterine cancers among others.
Bisphosphonate drugs include:
A major problem with these is osteonecrosis of the jaw (dead bone with holes!) among others. An old saying among nutritionally-savy docs is "save a wrist or loose your teeth. Take your pick!" The irony is that even the FDAcautions about increased hip fracture risk on those who take these drugs. WOW! The very drugs meant to help bones can actually break them. These drugs also prevent the normal bone turnover required for strong bones.
All cells have a turnover time. Old cells are replaced by new cells. The drugs make bones denser, but not stronger. The collagen found in bones provides strength, not minerals. Follow-up DEXA scans may APPEAR improved, but can represent a false security, as bone strength remains weak. A urine test is available measuring the normal 'turnover' of bone collagen, described as a Bone Resorption Test, analyzing type 1 collagen fragments known as deoxypyridinoline. This REAL-TIME testing does not substitute for a DEXA, but gives additional metabolic data for proper nutritional managementbetween scans. Why wait 1-2 years only to find out your calcium, vitamin D and aerobic classes didn't work!Although the safer, bio identical hormones have a place in healthcare, the point is neither hormone therapy or drugs address the underlying mechanisms involved in osteoporosis! Are there safer and effective treatment strategies that can be clinically proven to work? Yes. At stake is the very health of your entire skeleton!
THE OSTEOPOROSIS 8-POINT SYSTEM*
1) BALANCE pH. Only a pH between 6.4 and 7.0 will promote proper mineral utilization at the cell level. Excessive tissue acidity can undermine your efforts, as it continually will pull calcium from the bones for buffering. Most people need to eat MORE produce.
In fact the literature clearly shows maximum benefit with 6-9 servings a fresh fruit and veggies each and every day. See my article on pH: Why You Need To Know.
2) REDUCE INFLAMMATION.Systemic inflammation is at root of most cases of osteoporosis, and if not treated, poor bone health remains. Many studies testify the impact inflammation places on our bone metabolism. Inflammation may be driven by environmental toxins, infection, sluggish digestion, and more. We monitor inflammation by blood testing of hs-CRP, ESR, CBC with differential, plasma fibrinogen, homocysteine, lipid peroxides, urinary indican, occasionally serum ferritin, and constitutional findings.
3) REDUCE CHRONIC INFECTION..Dead or dying bone is a common finding in osteoporosis. Additionally, we test for infection-related toxins via the Visual Contrast Sensitivity (VCS) device. Our Pathogen Purge Program and deep matrix cleansing programs often work extremely well.
4) RESTORE DIGESTION.Proper digestion and enzyme secretion is crucial for bone metabolism. Without adequate hydrochloric acid (HCL) secretion, minerals aren't absorbed well, amino acids (protein building blocks) are not properly transferred through the gut wall to the cells, and any orally ingested pathogens may not be sterilized (see infection).
5) BALANCE HORMONES.Blood and salivary hormone testing can reveal issues, often due to faulty hormone receptors, low output, poor excretion/clearance or any combination.Receptors and clearance are rarely addressed, but are VITAL to hormone metabolism. Elevated cortisol has bone-destroying properties. Since our hormones fluctuate during a 24-hour period, I use a salivary cortisol panel measuring morning, noon, afternoon and midnight samples, J Rehabil Res Dev. 2009; 46(4): 529-42.
6) EXERCISE. Bone-building osteoblast cells require stressing them. Weight-bearing exercise is crucial. Whole Body Vibration therapy (WBV) is the safest, most effective technology I’ve ever seen for osteoporosis! It’s a HUGE advantage over weight training.(http://www.powerplate.com). However, any form of exercise that you enjoy is the best one, provided it's a weight-bearing activity (swimming is NON-weight bearing). These can include weights (even if just wrist and ankle velcro collar weights), biking, walking, jogging, eliptical machines, soccer, tennis, etc.
7) HEAL CELL MEMBRANES.Our cells have numerous receptors or antennae on the outer cell surface (membranes) control major functions. This includes the transport of nutrients into and waste products out of the cell. Communication between neighboring cells, tissues and the brain is also mediated through cell receptors.
Cell membranes are the second brain of the cell. If membranes are damaged, receptors are too. What damages them? Toxins, infection, inflammation, and nutrient deficiencies. We test membrane health using Bio-Impedance Analysis (BIA), and urinary Oxidata or Meta-Oxytests for lipid peroxides (malondialdehyde), Omega-3 Index testing of blood (self finger stick).
8) TARGETED, CORRECT NUTRITION.Bones require a multitude of synergistic vitamins, minerals, proteins and co-factors, not just calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D. Blood vitamin D level should range between 45-75 ng/ml, so testing is required. I often suggest 5,000 IU for the average adult in fall and winter basedupon blood testing. www.vitamindcouncil.org.
Possibly the most important to bone is adequate vitamin K. There are 3 forms of vitamin K:
Our favorite vitamin K2 (from the critical MK-7 form)is ADK caps (pharmacy code: D20079), or Liposomal ADK for those who prefer liquid (pharmacy code: D14955). Even though this has vitamin D3 in it, the K2 form (MK-7) is one of the highest we've seen, and works synergistically with the D3. Don't worry, it's NOT too much vitamin D if you are already taking some. Simply get a baseline blood test for vitamin D (as 25-OH vitamin D), then again 6 months later to see if you are taking the right amount of D. I typically recommend a test during the middle of the colder months, such as January, and again during middle of the warmer months, such as August. This may not apply to those living in year-round sunny areas near the equator. There is no known toxicity of K2 unless you are taking certain types of blood thinning medication - Coumadin or Warfarin). Take 1 cap a day with food. Caution: anyone taking blood thinners or anticoagulants must talk with your doctor first.
To provide ideal bone nutrition, we suggest Vitamin Code Raw Calcium (code: G13908)
This unique, complete bone formula contains therapeutic amounts of food-based calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, K2, silica, boron, strontium, and synergistic nutrients required for bone health that's 100% food-based, without synthetic ingredients, binders or fillers. Most all calcium products are derived from either limestone (rock) or oyster shell. Both are poorly absorbed at best. I suggest the full dose of 4 caps a day, and replaces most inferior calcium products. Remember, you don't need 1,200-1,500 mg of calcium a day when it's superiorly absorbed from food concentrates.
Note: All nutritional products may be ordered through our website's Virtual Pharmacy at a 20% discount. If you are new to our online pharmacy, simply fill in the required info on the Welcome page (which is found by clicking on any of our Virtual Pharmacy links found on our web main page). You can then order any of the 375 brands by searching via product code, company name, or product name in the search box. Already have an account? Just log in and away you go!
The 8-Point Osteoporosis System WORKS when many other methods fail!Best of health!